Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Ponting open to return to three

Updated December 07, 2011 16:57:19

Ricky Ponting is ready to move back to number three in the Australian batting order if the side is reshuffled for the second Test against New Zealand in Hobart.

Former skipper Ponting, who held down the crucial position for most of his illustrious career before dropping to number four, could find himself back there if out-of-sorts opener Phil Hughes is dropped and Usman Khawaja moved up a spot to open.

"I'll bat wherever the captain wants me to bat," Ponting told reporters at Bellerive Oval.

"If that's the best balance for the team then, absolutely, I'll go back into that position."

The call-up of South Australian all-rounder Dan Christian to the squad has added plenty of intrigue about the make-up of the Australian XI for the Test beginning on Friday.

If Christian plays, he is likely to bat at six or seven, with Hughes the likely omission and Australia's other batsmen all moving up a rung.

Christian is widely considered a replacement for injured all-rounder Shane Watson, who opens the batting.

But speculation is rife Watson will drop down the order on his return to ease his workload.

"It's no surprise to me, with Watson being out of the side, that (Christian's) the next cab off the rank as far as all-rounders in Australia are concerned," Ponting said.

The 36-year-old Ponting is back in his home state after rediscovering some form with half-centuries in his previous two Tests, against South Africa in Johannesburg and the Black Caps in Brisbane.

"Just the hard work I've been doing is starting to pay off, which is nice," he said.

"I felt nice and comfortable at the crease through that innings in Brisbane and obviously disappointed with myself not to go on and make a hundred that I've been striving for for a long time.

"I know that if I keep doing the things that I'm doing ... hopefully that big score's not too far away."

AAP

Tags: sport, cricket, hobart-7000, tas, australia

First posted December 07, 2011 16:09:52


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment