Saturday, December 24, 2011

Cowan reaps rewards for state switch

Ciaran Baynes

Updated December 22, 2011 07:31:15

Ed Cowan used to answer calls from cricket selectors with trepidation.

But on Tuesday night he did not hesitate to answer the phone and hear he had fulfilled his lifelong ambition of playing for Australia.

Cowan points to his switch from New South Wales to Tasmania as the catalyst behind his leap from fringe state cricketer to Test opener.

The 29-year-old opener, who will replace Phil Hughes as David Warner's opening partner in the Boxing Day Test, revealed he has been in regular contact with the Australian selectors throughout the summer.

"John Inverarity's number popped up on my phone and I thought 'I'd better answer that one'," Cowan said.

"I've had calls a few times when the chairman of selectors from various teams has phoned and you don't want to answer the call. This time I thought it would be a positive outcome.

"Their communication has been great. Maybe with a different selection panel this wouldn't have come to fruition.

"When we had the A game with New Zealand they were really positive and communicated well to me there was a job at the top of the order if I could prove I was the man for the job. If I could keep scoring hundreds.

"I said 'my job is to make your job as hard as possible', they said 'we look forward to you doing that'."

Although he has put up superb numbers this season, Cowan was quick to point out this is just a continuation of the form he has been in for Tasmania since 2009.

"I've got nine first-class hundreds in the last two-and-a-half years. It's been years of trying to dominate state cricket and I've hit form at the right time," he said.

"It doesn't feel [like] my form has changed technically over the last four weeks. But the stars have aligned and I've got greedy when I've got in.

"I think it started when I moved to Tasmania and I got more consistent and was picked more consistently.

"I loved playing cricket for New South Wales but I wasn't getting the most of myself and the system there wasn't getting the most out of me. Since then I felt I've had a point to prove.

"I feel I left at the right time and I see my career as one of two halves.

"First in New South Wales when I was in and out of the team for various reasons - injury, form and a great depth of young players - and my career in Tasmania which has been pretty successful."

Cowan's call-up came at the expense of fellow New South Welshmen and friends Usman Khawaja and Hughes, but he insists the situation has brought no edge to their relationship.

"I had a great chat with Usman last night. He found out he was dropped. Being friends we chatted in the room for an hour while the Big Bash was going on," Cowan said.

"Friendships go beyond the boundary. I've been friends with these guys for years.

"So it was nice to have my moment but at the same time I had to be a friend to a guy who was pretty disappointed.

"Phil, when he found out this morning, was the first person to come and look me in the eye and shake my hand. There's no animosity there.

"They're both brilliant cricketers and will both no doubt have great careers for Australia but, at this moment, it's my time."

Whether he was picked or not, Cowan was always going to be at the MCG on Boxing Day.

"Quite humorously my best mate is having his bucks day at the Boxing Day Test," Cowan said.

"I was scheduled to fly out on the morning of Boxing Day and sink a few tinnies watching the Test in Bay 13. Unfortunately, I've had to put the bucks day on hold.

"They'll still be there probably with a banner saying 'Cowan was meant to sit here' or something ridiculous."

Tags: cricket, sport, australia, tas

First posted December 21, 2011 15:38:37


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment