Friday, December 23, 2011

Injury concerns hold Harris back

Updated December 22, 2011 19:24:16

Memories of last year's Boxing Day Test breakdown helped Ryan Harris make the tough call to pull out of Australian team contention on Wednesday.

Harris impressed in his comeback from a hip injury on Tuesday night, taking 1 for 31 and almost steering Brisbane Heat to a Big Bash League Twenty20 win over Melbourne Stars with an unbeaten 25.

But a frank conversation with national selector Andy Bichel afterwards ensured his name would not feature in Australia's Boxing Day Test squad unveiled on Wednesday.

"To be honest I don't reckon I could get through a Test match at the moment," Harris said on Wednesday.

"I spoke to Andy Bichel and he asked me how I was feeling.

"I said I probably lacked getting through that intensity, rhythm and fitness."

Try as he might, Harris can not forget what happened in last summer's Boxing Day clash.

Harris inadvertently left Australia a bowler short when he suffered an ankle injury then missed the rest of the Ashes series when it required surgery.

"What happened last year? I have been trying to forget it," he smiled.

"I started one last year then fell in a heap.

"Personally I can't afford to break down again.

"And being a bowler short in a Test match is pretty poor.

"I dream of playing a Boxing Day Test (and) I was pretty keen to play this game - but only if I was 100 per cent."

The hip complaint that cut short his tour of South Africa last month added to a worrying list of ailments for Harris.

Apart from his Ashes frustration, Harris also missed the third Test in Sri Lanka with a hamstring strain and is nursing a degenerative right knee.

However, Harris was hopeful of firing up for the second Test against India in Sydney from January 3.

The early signs are good - Bichel watched from the stands when Harris bounced back from conceding 14 runs in his second over for the Heat on Tuesday night before bowling well at the death of the Stars' innings.

Harris also shared an unbroken 55-run eighth wicket stand with Michael Neser but the Stars still held on for an eight-run victory.

AAP

Tags: cricket, sport, australia

First posted December 22, 2011 07:53:20


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment