Friday, December 23, 2011

Marsh confident of Boxing Day fitness

Updated December 22, 2011 18:40:22

A change in rehab has given top-order batsman Shaun Marsh renewed confidence he will be fit for selection in the Boxing Day Test against India at the MCG.

The Western Australian has been fighting to recover from an ongoing back injury which flared dramatically during last month's series in South Africa.

But he has been boosted by a recent change in treatment after a sluggish start in his battle to regain fitness.

"I was struggling a fair bit for the first month," Marsh said.

"Every time I tried to increase my training schedule or load I just couldn't do it.

"But I've worked hard with my people back home in Perth and we've changed a few things around in the last three weeks which have helped a lot."

Marsh said his back had improved significantly in recent weeks and was no longer troubling him following several days practising in the nets.

"It's actually pulled up fine. Probably a week-and-a-half ago it was a little bit stiff and sore still.

"I've worked very hard and I've had extended net practice.

"Obviously it's been a big build-up for me the last few weeks to try and get myself in this position.

"The last few days have been really good."

Marsh was included in Australia's 13-man squad for Monday's series opener even though he has not played for six weeks following the November tour of South Africa, where he locked up in the first Test in Cape Town.

He missed the Chairman's XI match against India in Canberra this week and was expected to be sidelined until after Christmas.

His first match will be for the Perth Scorchers in the Big Bash League at Docklands on Thursday night against the Melbourne Renegades.

Scorchers team-mate Brad Hogg commented on Twitter that the match was not the best preparation for a Test batsman.

"Interesting, Shaun Marsh proving his fitness in a T20 for a Test match. Bit like Moneghetti doing a 100m proving himself for a marathon," Hogg posted.

Marsh said he was in excruciating pain and was barely able to move in South Africa when his back first gave in.

"It wasn't too pleasant," he said.

"The night that I did it I had Michael Beer, Michael Hussey and (physiotherapist) Alex Kountouris picking me up and taking me to the toilet.

"Every time I did move I was struggling ... I couldn't get out of bed and stuff like that.

"It was tough there for a few days and it was tough for a month for me to try and overcome it."

Marsh and all-rounder Dan Christian are vying for the spot in the Australian batting line-up which became vacant following the axing of Usman Khawaja.

Ed Cowan will replace the dumped Phil Hughes as David Warner's opening partner against India.

AAP

Tags: cricket, sport, australia

First posted December 22, 2011 13:52:38


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment