Monday, December 19, 2011

Warne prepared to play hot hand

Updated December 13, 2011 13:23:13

Shane Warne rates himself a 95 per cent chance to be fit to bowl for the Melbourne Stars in their opening Big Bash League Twenty20 match despite a burnt hand.

The master spinner said he would see a surgeon on Wednesday to have the bandage removed from his right hand and he was confident of playing against Sydney Thunder at the MCG on Saturday night.

Warne, 42, had an accident while using his barbecue and says his main concern is to avoid an infection.

"They just drained all the blisters and then they cut them all open so they wouldn't fill up again," Warne said on Tuesday.

"There's just a couple of awkward ones on the spinning fingers.

"But hopefully I've got four days and it should be fine by Saturday."

He brushed off suggestions he could wear bandages or a glove to stop the wounds ripping open during the match.

"Bowling legspin is all about feel so if I put a glove on I'm not sure I can tweak them down there that well," he said.

"I'm hoping I won't need that and I'll be ready to go."

Warne said while he hoped to take the field, he would not play unless his hand was healed enough for him to bowl properly.

"If I won't be able to bowl then I won't be playing - that would let the team down," he said.

Warne added another concern is that by spinning the ball it could rip open the skin again.

"We'll just see how we go," he added.

AAP/AFP

Tags: twenty20, cricket, sport, melbourne-3000, vic, australia

First posted December 13, 2011 10:26:10


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment