Friday, December 23, 2011

Harris feels ready after Big Bash hit-out

Updated December 21, 2011 10:30:32

Australian quick Ryan Harris feels he has given himself every chance of playing in the Boxing Day Test after coming through his first game for the Brisbane Heat unscathed.

Harris bowled four overs for 31 runs in last night's Big Bash League match and then exerted himself when batting, running furiously between the wickets during his unbeaten 25 that could not prevent his side losing to Shane Warne's Melbourne Stars by eight runs.

If Cricket Australia is confident he can handle the duress of Test cricket, the 32-year-old is likely to come in for Mitchell Starc against India.

But reports on Wednesday morning indicate Ben Hilfenhaus is set for a recall with Harris and opening batsman Shane Watson left out due to their respective injury concerns.

"I reckon I'm fit," Harris told ABC Grandstand at the Gabba on Tuesday night.

"I was pretty good when I bowled. I was a little bit stiff in between spells but once I got going I was fine.

"I am [exhausted] to be honest. I've got to learn to hit more balls over the fence so I don't have to run those twos.

"Running at the end I was fine. I didn't feel anything but I've got a bit of bowling to do.

"This was the high intensity workout I wanted."

Harris admitted to being disappointed with his figures of 1 for 31, highlighting the different skills required to bowl in Twenty20 compared to Test cricket.

"You could see I hadn't bowled for a while," Harris said.

"I probably bowled a bit too much of a Test-match length.

"I guess I was pretty happy the way I came back to bowl yorkers. I haven't practised them much in the nets but they came out alright."

Tags: cricket, sport, brisbane-4000, qld, australia

First posted December 21, 2011 10:20:52


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment