Monday, December 19, 2011

Warner a doubt for Big Bash opener

Updated December 16, 2011 07:53:08

Man of the moment David Warner faces a fitness test for a back injury before Sydney Thunder's T20 Big Bash League clash with Shane Warne's Melbourne Stars on Saturday.

The big-hitting opener is still being troubled by a back problem incurred while scoring the unbeaten 123, which nearly snatched victory for Australia in the second Test against New Zealand on Monday.

"I am in discomfort when I'm not moving," Warner said.

"I've got to keep moving every five or 10 minutes, because if I'm in the one position ... I stiffen up.

"The more movement I get the better (it is) and obviously that's a sign of getting better in general."

Warner's fitness will be tested on Friday ahead of the encounter at the MCG where he could come up against spin great Warne.

"I'll see the physio and then tomorrow head down with the boys and I'll have a big hit-out tomorrow," Warner said.

The opener is also slated to play for the Chairman's XI in the three-day tour match against India in Canberra from Monday ahead of the first Test at the MCG starting on Boxing Day.

He admits the short Twenty20 interim is not the best way for the Test squad to warm up.

"I don't think it's ideal preparation. For a Test player you want to try and bat for as much time as you can," Warner said.

"You've got a Big Bash there that you have to play. For me it's exciting, because I like playing Twenty20 cricket and I know my game can go back to that.

"But it is hard to transit from Test cricket to Twenty20 mode.

"It's up to the individual players and I'm sure all the guys won't have any trouble doing that."

Warner says he is quite surprised to hear Phil Hughes was withdrawing from the Big Bash League, but is confident his fellow opener made the right decision.

"For him to get better he feels he needs to go back to the drawing board," he said.

AAP

Tags: cricket, sport, sydney-2000

First posted December 15, 2011 14:30:02


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment