Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Whirlwind Warner rips India to shreds

By Joel Zander

Updated January 14, 2012 13:40:00

David Warner remarkably hammered the fastest ever century by an opener as Australia embarrassed a demoralised India on the opening day of the third Test in Perth.

Warner's century off just 69 balls eclipsed Chris Gayle's 70-ball effort for the West Indies at the same ground, was the third-fastest by an Australian and also the equal fourth-fastest of all time.

Australia rocketed to 0 for 149 off only 23 overs at stumps, with Warner on 104 and opening partner Ed Cowan surviving a vigorous caught-behind appeal to be 40, after India managed only 161 after being sent in.

Warner had faced only 80 balls by the close, hammering 13 fours and three booming sixes including the final one off rookie Indian medium-pacer Vinay Kumar which sent him past triple figures.

Only Viv Richards (56 balls), Adam Gilchrist (57) and Jack Gregory (67) have scored a faster Test century in terms of balls.

Warner, who received treatment and was still ginger at stumps after being hit in the head by a rising Umesh Yadav delivery on 80, said Australia knew there would be a bit in the wicket early before fastening up.

"We've said this whole week, batting at the WACA, anything that goes through the infield just rolls away and goes to the boundary and you get value for your shots," he told Grandstand.

"I just knew if it was in my zone and I got my feet across to the ball, kept my balance and shape and I met the ball with purpose and intent, I was going to be on.

"I owe a lot of credit to (coach) Mickey Arthur and (batting coach) Justin Langer, who've worked extremely hard this week in making sure that my balance and my head's still when facing up and it's paid off."

Warner exchanged some heated words with Ishant Sharma during a drinks break and a triple-figure score beckoned when he duly battered the Indian paceman for his second six to move to 70 off just 50 balls.

"The six I hit off Ishant Sharma, I looked at Ed and was like far out, I can't believe I just played that," he joked.

"I knew I was on as soon as I hit a few cover drives off Zaheer.

"But you're never set on this kind of wicket... I just had to treat every ball with some respect but I just showed some intent."

Warner's effort overshadowed another stellar bowling performance from Australia, with India's batting line-up once again routed for another paltry score.

Struggling number six Virat Kohli earned a reprieve and top-scored with 44 while VVS Laxman and Gautam Gambhir each made 31, but no other Indian batsman made more than Sachin Tendulkar's 15 as Australia's decision to go in with four quicks was vindicated.

Ben Hilfenhaus (4 for 43) removed the top order as well as skipper MS Dhoni while Peter Siddle (3 for 42) decimated the middle order and the returning Ryan Harris (1 for 33) chipped in with the key scalp of Tendulkar.

Mitchell Starc (2 for 39), in for spinner Nathan Lyon, helped polish off the tail.

"It was a fantastic day of cricket, obviously topped off by Davey's hundred," Hilfenhaus told Grandstand.

"We bowled reasonably well for most of the day to set the game up and tomorrow's going to be crucial that we bat well and take the game away from them."

Hilfenhaus said the wicket actually played a little slower than what Australia was hoping.

"We knew we had to bowl our lengths on that sort of wicket and we got the rewards in the end," he said.

"I guess it just shows the depths in Australian cricket at the moment with the fast bowlers, no matter who's playing everyone knows their role and performs that role the best they can."

Cowan was lucky to be there at the close after being given a life in the third-last over of the day, with replays showing he gloved a Sharma delivery to Dhoni.

Tags: sport, cricket, perth-6000, australia, wa

First posted January 13, 2012 21:26:15


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment