Sunday, January 22, 2012

Lyon turns to Ponting for advice

Updated January 22, 2012 08:01:13

Nathan Lyon might be trying to put all his eggs in one basket by admitting he does not have a huge variety of deliveries in his arsenal for this week's fourth Test against India.

"I'm just trying to keep executing my stock ball to the best of my ability," Australia's offspinner said on Saturday as Australia resumed in the Adelaide Oval nets.

Michael Clarke's men will train again on Sunday and Monday as they seek to claim a 4-0 sweep against world number two India.

After a combined tally of 2 for 180 from the first two Tests, Lyon was dropped for the third Test in Perth as the home side chose a four-man pace attack.

Lyon's bowling average of 24.59 after seven Tests has ballooned to 30.04 after nine.

It is still a good record but a series against India is a landmark for any spinner.

Former Adelaide Oval groundsman Lyon is not just relying on local knowledge to have an impact in his first home Test.

The 24-year-old says he has been working intensely with veteran batsman and ex-skipper Ricky Ponting.

"Of course changes of pace and natural variation all come into it," Lyon said.

"But I've been working hard with Ricky Ponting especially on my bowling in the nets and bowling to him, because I find him one of the best bats to bowl to in the nets.

"A couple of days off there missing out on the Test in Perth was a great opportunity for me to work on my bowling, batting and fielding.

"I used all that time possible that I could use to make myself a better player."

He says bowling against Test cricket's leading runscorer Sachin Tendulkar was a dream opportunity.

"India's a great side to play against. Even though we're up three-nil, we're expecting India to come out and hit us hard," Lyon said.

"They have just been a great challenge for myself, being a young spinner and bowling against the best batters against spin."

Lyon allowed himself a brief moment of nostalgia regarding his roots.

"It has been a great journey. I've loved every moment of it, working here at Adelaide Oval," he said.

"Adelaide's the best ground in the world in my book. I definitely feel comfortable out there.

"The pitch is only going to get lower and slower so hopefully it has a little bit more turn out there for me."

AAP

Tags: cricket, sport, adelaide-5000, sa, australia, india

First posted January 22, 2012 08:01:13


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment