Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Starc preparing to be unlucky quick

Updated January 17, 2012 21:05:00

It is the simple equation which has got the pace quartet that delivered a crushing third Test victory for Australia looking over their shoulders.

Despite Peter Siddle, Mitchell Starc, Ben Hilfenhaus and Ryan Harris demolishing India at the WACA Ground inside three days last week, one of the quicks appears certain to miss out at the Adelaide Oval next week.

Chairman of selectors John Inverarity all but confirmed off-spinner Nathan Lyon will return to the starting XI when he named an unchanged squad of 12 for the fourth Test on Tuesday.

Lyon's inclusion would leave left-arm quick Starc as the man most likely to have to drop out despite his four wickets and impressive bowling in Perth.

It seems the only way Starc would keep his place is if rumours Siddle is set to be rested after playing eight straight Tests prove true.

But despite the frustration of having his spot under threat following the best display of his three-Test career, Starc will head to Adelaide ready to fight for a spot.

"I guess you could say disappointing," Starc said about the possibility of being left out.

"They're obviously not going to go in with four quicks to Adelaide so Nathan Lyon will come back in.

"With the four of us there I can't see them dropping any of the other three, they're in great form."

There's a lot of talk about the rotation policy so I'm just going to go out there and prepare as though I was going to play, as I always do, and if I get the chance then I'm ready to go."

Inverarity delivered a double blow when he announced the squad, suggesting there may be little need to rest Siddle after he quickly delivered victory in Perth.

Starc said missing out would be tough but he would be happy if it means delivering a 4-0 series whitewash just over a year after last summer's Ashes debacle.

"It'd be great for our group," he said.

"To beat the world number two team 4-0 on home soil would be a great start to what we've spoken about, becoming the world number one again."

Starc has been released from his Test duties to take part in Wednesday's Big Bash League contest between the Sydney Sixers and Perth Scorchers at the SCG.

Joining Starc in the Sixers team will be under-fire wicketkeeper Brad Haddin, while struggling top-order batsman Shaun Marsh is set to line-up for the Scorchers.

Running out of chances

Marsh said the Twenty20 clash could be the most important of his career after making scores of 0, 3, 0 and 11 so far against India this summer.

"At the end of the day my job is to score runs and I haven't been doing that in the first three Test matches," Marsh said at Perth airport on Tuesday.

"There's always pressure, but that's part and parcel of playing international cricket.

"I've just got to try to turn it around.

"You don't get too many chances to play Test cricket so I know my chances are running out.

"I see it as a good challenge for me.

"I've performed well (at Test level) before, so I know that I can do it. I've just got to get out there and get some runs."

Both Marsh and Haddin will play in Adelaide regardless of how they perform on Wednesday night and Starc believes 34-year-old Haddin is not playing as badly as some might think.

"Brad's been in pretty good spirits. There's been a lot of talk in the press and whatever but I reckon he's still gloving the ball pretty well and he'll get his chance with the bat," Starc said.

"He obviously didn't get much of a chance in the last couple of Tests with the runs coming at the top of the list. I'm sure he'll be going out there to get some runs and take some momentum into the next Test."

AAP

Tags: cricket, sport, adelaide-5000, sa, australia

First posted January 17, 2012 19:20:39


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment