Tuesday, December 18, 2012

I can do more from number four: Watson

Updated December 13, 2012 07:03:23

Vice-captain Shane Watson says he is confident his new role at number four in Australia's Test batting line-up will allow him to make greater contributions with bat and ball.

Watson will drop down one spot from number three to four in the first Test against Sri Lanka in Hobart starting on Friday, following the retirement of Ricky Ponting and the selectors' decision to recall former opener Phil Hughes to a new role at number three.

All-rounder Watson said on Wednesday his batting duties at first drop would have been in skipper Michael Clarke's mind when he bowled only nine of the 111.5 overs as South Africa belted 569 second-innings runs in Australia's heavy third Test defeat in Perth earlier this month.

But he also saw a chance to score more freely by batting down at number four.

"Batting slightly lower, the ball is slightly older - the wicket's had a little bit more sun on it," Watson said.

"Hopefully it'll just mean I might have a little bit more freedom to be able to score, to be able to hit through the lines.

"I really am seeing it as a big positive. One, for my batting side of things, but also for my bowling, to hopefully be able to really contribute that little bit more with the ball because I feel like I have got a bit more to contribute.

"Batting at four gives Michael (Clarke) a few more options to be able to bowl (me) towards the latter stages of an opposition's batting innings and not have to worry about me being as fresh as I can going into our batting innings (as) if I'm opening or batting three."

Watson acknowledged Clarke would have felt pressure not to bowl him too much during that Perth Test pasting because of his looming batting role in Australia's second innings.

Australia replied with 322 including Watson's 25 at number three as the home side lost by 309 runs in the fight for top ranking.

"They were making sure they kept an eye on the amount I bowl. It probably would have been only maybe one more spell anyway," Watson said.

"It's more-so the thought that Michael was just holding me back to make sure I could stay as fresh as I could going into that second innings because we knew how important it was to be able to bat for long periods of time, which I wasn't able to do.

"It (the move to number four) just means that he's able to have the freedom to be able to use me when he wants a lot more."

AAP

Tags: cricket, sport, hobart-7000, tas, australia, sri-lanka

First posted December 12, 2012 13:57:37


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment