Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Aussie Jones signs new Liverpool deal

Updated December 14, 2012 10:44:32

Australian goalkeeper Brad Jones admits he was relieved to sign a new contract with Liverpool after battling to prove his worth to manager Brendan Rodgers.

Jones was facing a bleak future at Anfield when Rodgers announced his arrival at the club in June by telling the 30-year-old that he was not part of his first-team plans.

But despite being linked with a host of goalkeepers in the following months, Rodgers has been impressed by Jones' displays in the absence of injured first-choice Jose Reina and rewarded the Australian with a new deal of unspecified length.

"When he (Rodgers) came in I don't think he was too sure about whether I was going to stay or not and I had to prove to him I was worthy of being here," Jones said.

"He was very honest with me at the start and said maybe things weren't going to work out.

"But he was then just as honest to come and say to me I'd done well and proved myself to him.

"That's what you want from your manager - somebody that's honest, that you can talk to and is going to help you progress as a player."

Jones has made 10 appearances so far this season, by far his best run in the side having amassed a total of just 14 since joining from Middlesbrough in 2010.

AFP

Tags: cricket, sport, england, united-kingdom

First posted December 14, 2012 10:44:32


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment