Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Bird makes Boxing Day XI at Starc's expense

By James Maasdorp

Updated December 26, 2012 02:07:59

Australia coach Mickey Arthur has confirmed Jackson Bird will be in the final XI for the Boxing Day Test against Sri Lanka at the MCG.

The decision means Mitchell Starc misses out as part of Cricket Australia's rotation policy, after bowling superbly in the hosts' 137-run victory over Sri Lanka in the first Test in Hobart.

Bird has taken 87 wickets in 17 first class games at an average of 19.72 to propel him into the national spotlight since joining Tasmania in the Sheffield Shield.

Captain Michael Clarke remains a selection doubt, with Arthur saying a decision on his fitness could be made as late as Boxing Day morning.

Mitchell Johnson has been named to replace the injured Ben Hilfenhaus.

But Arthur's biggest decision so far looks to have been the dropping of Starc, after the southpaw took 5 for 63 to derail the Sri Lankan batting line-up on the last day of the Hobart Test.

Arthur said Starc needs rest ahead of a gruelling 2013 schedule, but backed Bird to slot in seamlessly.

"Jackson brings line and length, he brings pressure, he swings the ball out, he brings some nice pace, he's got all the attributes for a good quick bowler," Arthur said.

"Mitch is our one quick bowler who stars in all three forms of the game.

"It's always a tough decision to make, it was a tough conversation with Mitch and Mitch took it very well.

"He's clearly very disappointed and I wouldn't expect anything other than that.

"You've got to be very mindful that we've got such a lot of cricket coming up and Mitch will be integral to that.

"It's tough on Mitch but hopefully he misses one Test to make sure we don't have another injury and that there's a lot of longevity with that decision, that he's ready to go in the one-dayers, ready to go for the tour of India and he's ready to go for the Ashes tour."

Starc took to Twitter after the announcement, and he made clear his disappointment at the decision to rest him from the second Test:

Mitch Starc ?@mstarc56
Absolutely shattered… Massive game, good luck to Birdy on debut, he will do an amazing job! Backing the Aussie boys to go 2-0 up this week!

On his maiden Test call-up, Bird said he was excited, and hoped his solid domestic record in Melbourne would calm any nerves.

"I got the call from Mickey yesterday to say I'm in the final XI, so I'm very excited," he said.

"Pretty nervous actually ... I've always wanted to play for Australia and I guess on Boxing Day too.

"I'm going to open the bowling so I'm looking forward to that.

"My last 18 months have been pretty successful in first class cricket. I've got a pretty good record at the MCG as well.

"I feel like I'm ready for Test cricket. Hopefully I can repay the faith of Mickey and the selectors.

"I haven't really told many people [of my call-up], it was just between Mickey and me, I guess. I should probably go and call my parents after this."

On Clarke's fitness, Arthur said the Test captain was improving.

"He's clearly improving. He went far better today than he did yesterday," Arthur said of this morning's net session.

"If I was a betting man I'd bet on Michael Clarke leading the team out on Boxing Day.

"It will be a consultation between Michael and Alex (physio Alex Kountouris)."

Tags: cricket, sport, melbourne-3000, vic, australia, sri-lanka

First posted December 24, 2012 12:26:25


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment