Thursday, June 16, 2011

Sutherland plays straight bat on Katich

Updated June 10, 2011 17:58:00

Cricket Australia boss James Sutherland has deflected criticism over dumped opener Simon Katich's omission from the list of Australian contracted players.

Katich hit out on Friday morning, labelling his axing from the Test team as "absolutely ridiculous" and criticising the National Selection Panel's policies as "inconsistent".

But Sutherland defended the NSP's moves and said he would not stand for any criticism of the integrity of the selection process.

"It's true that in a selection sense, everyone is entitled to their opinions about selection," he said.

"But ultimately the opinions that really count are [those of] the National Selection Panel and I reject any criticism of them in terms of their individual integrity, their collective integrity and the integrity of the process they go through in making decisions about who the best team is, the best players are, the best squad is, for Australian cricket into the future."

The Cricket Australia boss also moved to reassure that there has not been any other criticism from players about how contracts are handed out.

"I don't think there's discontent in regards to the selection process," he said.

"One thing that I do know is that there is a review underway at the moment, the team performance review chaired by Don Argus, and certainly Simon together with a number of other players have had the opportunity to present to the panel and speak on their views.

"It's premature to talk about views or findings out of that review but Simon certainly expressed his views as have other players, as have other people connected with Australian cricket and the Australian cricket team and in due course findings will be made public."

A fuming Katich, who averages 45.03 from 56 Tests, said he was "disappointed and frustrated" by what he felt were "inconsistent selection policies" coming out of Cricket Australia.

"I also want to make it clear that I know I'm not the only player that's gone through this in the last couple of years due to inconsistent selection policies," Katich told a press conference at the Sydney Cricket Ground.

"I just hope that something good comes out of this situation, because I actually think the decision that came on Tuesday was absolutely ridiculous."

But Sutherland held no grudges, saying the 35-year-old is an asset to the sport.

"I spoke to this earlier on in the week and the comments I made at that time stand - Simon Katich is a fantastic player, he still is a fantastic player, he still has a lot to offer Australian cricket," he said.

"He's highly respected here and around the world and I would anticipate that he still has a huge amount to offer Australian cricket both as a player and down the track in other capacities as well.

"I can understand he's extremely disappointed at the news he's received this week and I really do sympathise with him on that basis."

Sutherland refused to be drawn on whether Katich would have a "black line through his name" for future roles.

"It's not for me to comment on that; as I say I think that Simon's a fantastic player, he's still got a lot to offer Australian cricket in whatever capacity," he said.

"It's really up to him.

"I think it's fantastic news that he's continuing on as a player for New South Wales and I'm sure that he has, knowing him, he has the grit in his teeth to ensure that he sends a very strong message to selectors and I'm sure the door's not entirely closed on him."

Tags: sport, cricket, australia, nsw, sydney-2000

First posted June 10, 2011 16:40:00


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment