Thursday, June 16, 2011

Katich hits out over 'ridiculous' axing

Updated June 10, 2011 12:56:00

Dumped Australian opener Simon Katich has hit out over his omission from Cricket Australia's list of contracted players, labelling it 'absolutely ridiculous'.

The 35-year-old, one of Australia's most consistent performers over past seasons, was told by chairman of selectors Andrew Hilditch on Tuesday that he had been axed so the Test team could focus on bedding down a new opening partnership.

A fuming Katich, who averages 45.03 from 56 Tests, said he was "disappointed and frustrated" by what he felt were "inconsistent selection policies" coming out of Cricket Australia.

"I also want to make it clear that I know I'm not the only player that's gone through this in the last couple of years due to inconsistent selection policies," he told a press conference at the Sydney Cricket Ground.

"I just hope that something good comes out of this situation, because I actually think the decision that came on Tuesday was absolutely ridiculous."

Katich had no doubt his age was a determining factor.

"I've got a massive feeling that my age played a big part in it," he said.

"Look, obviously that's never going to be mentioned because of the legalities of it all.

"But I know that in my last three seasons I've got the numbers on the board, I've enjoyed playing in the team, and to be told that it was because the opening partnership needed to be bedded down before the 2013 Ashes just doesn't sit well with me."

Katich said inconsistency and indecision was a concerning trend in Cricket Australia selection policy.

"The facts are, a week or two before the Ashes, a squad of 17 was named," he said.

"Now in my opinion, if you can't know what your best XI is a week or so before our biggest Test series that we play in, the Ashes, then that to me reeks of indecision.

"The fact that we've had 10 or 11 different spinners in the last two years or three years or whatever it's been - obviously some have been through retirements and injury and stuff like that - but that to me is another indicator of the inconsistency in selections.

"There's been rules for some and rules for others."

Katich confirmed he had pondered retirement but opted to play on for New South Wales out of respect for his team-mates, and said he had not completely ruled out a return to the international arena.

The gritty left-hander had formed a successful opening partnership with Shane Watson, but an Achilles tendon injury suffered during the second Adelaide Test against England forced him to miss the remainder of the Ashes series, won 3-1 by the tourists.

"To be given the reason that it's because the opening partnership needs to be down for 2013, when I know for a fact that Watto and I have thoroughly enjoyed opening together and it's been one of the bright spots in our team the last two years - I find it very hard to believe that," Katich said.

"The system at the moment - it's not only just affecting me - but it's also affected a number of players.

"I'm just one of a number of players in Australian cricket over the last number of years that has had to go through this process."

Katich said he had given his opinion on a review into Australian cricket which was opened following the Ashes debacle, but was not allowed to reveal specific details.

But he left no doubt as to his current thoughts on Cricket Australia.

"I know how they operate and I could see it coming," he said.

"I've only had a four-minute conversation with Andrew Hilditch on Tuesday and I haven't heard from anyone else at Cricket Australia since, and I've been involved with the organisation since 1999."

Tags: sport, cricket, australia, nsw, sydney-2000

First posted June 10, 2011 11:13:00


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment