Sunday, January 13, 2013

Hussey salutes at end of dream career

By James Maasdorp

Updated January 06, 2013 23:49:33

Michael Hussey says his whole career has felt like a dream after ending his last Test match for Australia a winner at the SCG.

Australia successfully chased down the 141 runs required to beat Sri Lanka with five wickets in hand in Sydney and sweep the series 3-0, with Hussey (27 not out) in the middle to see the hosts home.

The Aussies lost wickets at regular intervals as the crowd repeatedly chanted for Hussey to come out and cap off a fairytale finish to a wonderful Test career, alongside Mitchell Johnson (1 not out).

As it happened: Third Test, Day Four

"I couldn't have dreamed of it, I can remember when I hadn't even played and Jason Gillespie said to me 'I reckon you've got 50 Tests in you, Huss'," he told Grandstand.

"I laughed at him straight in the face.

"I said 'no way, mate', I was already probably 30 years of age, I would have bitten his hand off right then (to get 50).

"To go on and play 79, to be part of a World Cup and an Ashes-winning team, that's what it's all about.

"I've exceeded anything I could have ever dreamed of, and the game's given me so much, so I feel very fortunate."

Hussey leaves the long form of the game with a sterling record, averaging 51.52 with the bat having scored 6,235 runs for his country.

He thanked the SCG crowd for their send-offs throughout the four days of cricket, but said he was hoping the batsmen above him could get the job done without him.

"I'm a little bit embarrassed about [the send-offs], to be honest - the support has just been overwhelming," he said.

"I can't believe it and I've got to thank the Sydney crowd so much because they've been absolutely fantastic.

"There's always pressure, that's what Test cricket is all about. I was hoping not to bat, I was hoping we would have got the runs none down, but it was nice to go out there and be there close to the end.

"To be there with Mitchell Johnson was brilliant, it's another Australian win and I'm very proud.

"I was hoping Michael Clarke and Ed Cowan could get through to tea because the crowd were beginning to call for one of them to get out, and I wanted to make sure that both of them stayed there and finished the job.

"It was great to get out there. I admit I was a bit nervous ... you just don't want to let anyone down there, and I'm just proud to be out there."

Wicket-keeper Matthew Wade, who hit a gutsy 102 in the first innings but was bowled out by for 8 in the second, lauded Hussey's performances throughout his career and said his farewell was a fitting one.

"What a Test match, awesome. It was always going to happen like that, Mr Cricket was ... always going to bat out there for the winning runs," Wade told Grandstand.

"The crowd's been amazing, the whole Test match. [Hussey is] a little bit embarrassed about it, he didn't want any fuss over him, but unfortunately it was always going to happen."

Read the story: Hussey left out of ODI squad

Hussey steps away from Test cricket and, while he has yet to retire from the limited overs game, he was omitted from Australia's squad for the first two ODI matches against Sri Lanka.

But his younger brother David will continue the Hussey tradition in Australian gold, with Michael wishing him all the best.

"I hope [David] goes well, it's a great opportunity for a lot of guys now around the Australian team," Hussey said.

"We'll see which one's going to stand up and take his opportunity and be part of the next generation of Australian cricket.

"I hope it is [David], he really wants it, but we'll really have to wait and see."

Tags: cricket, sport, sydney-2000, nsw, australia, sri-lanka

First posted January 06, 2013 17:11:59


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment