Sunday, January 13, 2013

Homesickness prompted Hussey exit call

Updated December 30, 2012 14:24:02

Michael Hussey says the prospect of spending seven of the next 12 months away from his family led to his decision to quit international cricket.

Hussey said the fact he was dreading rather than looking forward to the prestigious tours of India and England, made leaving the international game an easy one.

"I first started to doubt my desire to continue as a Test cricketer on the last couple of away tours," Hussey told News Limited.

Read Mike Hussey: Six of the Best

"The first I was away for two-and-a-half months and the next for three months. I found the separation from my family very hard.

"It got more and more difficult to say goodbye each time. So I made the decision I wanted to play out the Australian summer and see how I felt.

"To see whether I had the desire to spend seven of the next 12 months on the road, to India and the Ashes.

"If I'm honest, I wasn't anywhere near as excited about those tours as I should have been. And to pull on the baggy green cap you've got to be 100 per cent committed.

"I always have given 100 per cent and didn't want it to get to the stage where I was playing for Australia and wanted to be somewhere else.

"So I decided to move on, while my form is still quite good. It will be nice to go out on top. The next 12 months are going to be brutal and, at 37, I just feel it is going to be too much for me."

Hussey revealed that he told Mickey Arthur and Michael Clarke after the victory in Melbourne and let the rest of the team know since then.

"I told the Australian coach Mickey Arthur and captain Michael Clarke in the dressing room after our Second Test win over Sri Lanka," Hussey said.

"I didn't want to tell the players though, to ruin the song and the special feeling you get when you win a Test series.

"I have spent the past 48 hours phoning them all or talking to them one-on-one.

"Most were a bit shocked. But they were happy for me as well. To be able to go out on my terms."

Hussey, who has to choose the next player to lead the singing of Australia's victory song 'Under the Southern Cross I Stand', said though he will miss being part of the team ultimately it was an easy call to make.

"It may shock a few people but let me assure everyone I am at peace with what was the toughest - yet easiest - decision I have ever made," .

"Toughest because I will miss the camaraderie post-match and leading the team song after a sweet victory inside the dressing room.

"Easiest because the decision has been made for family reasons to be there 24/7 for my wife Amy and children Jasmin (eight), William (six), Molly (five) and Oscar (six months)."

Tags: sport, cricket, wa, australia

First posted December 30, 2012 14:22:49


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment