Saturday, September 22, 2012

Hayden not returning to Big Bash

Updated September 20, 2012 14:12:45

Australian Test great Matthew Hayden has decided against playing again for the Brisbane Heat in the upcoming Big Bash campaign, bringing an end to his career at the age of 40.

Hayden top-scored for the underachieving Heat last season hitting 203 runs, but business commitments have forced him opt out of playing in the 2012-13 season.

"I would not have grappled with the decision as much as I did had I not had so much fun last year with the Heat,'' Hayden told the Courier Mail.

"I would have liked a few more runs and for the Heat to go better but I just enjoyed playing a game which is becoming a huge pillar of cricket in this country.

"I loved the fact that (son) Tommy was able to get out and see Dad and realise that playing cricket was something I did very proudly for my family.

"Of course I will miss playing cricket. It has been a big part of my life and it has been a satisfying journey."

Hayden continued his career in the short form of the game with the Chennai Super Kings in the Indian Premier League after retiring from international cricket in 2009 with 8,625 runs from 103 Tests to his name.

He then joined the Heat for the inaugural Big Bash season and embraced the opportunity to reach out to the audience by speaking to commentators during his knocks at the crease.

Although he failed to recapture his best form he did record Brisbane's highest score with 76 against Hobart in January.

The opener's absence from side means another native Queenslander, Mitchell Johnson, is likely to join Darren Lehmann's side.

Tags: sport, cricket, twenty20, brisbane-4000

First posted September 20, 2012 10:14:08


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment