Sunday, September 23, 2012

Australia coming to terms with T20: Bailey

Updated September 19, 2012 11:44:44

Australia is finally coming to terms with the demands of Twenty20 cricket after failing to take the shortest form of the game seriously, World Cup captain George Bailey has said.

The four-times 50 overs World Cup champions' best performance in the T20 game has been reaching the final of the 2010 tournament against eventual winners England in the West Indies.

Australia lost that final by seven wickets.

"My personal opinion is, I think, is that it has taken a little while for Australia to take Twenty20 seriously," Bailey told reporters.

"For many years we beat teams with guys who hadn't played international cricket. We have changed that team a lot. I think we are trying to get there."

Australia plays Ireland in its opening game on Wednesday morning (AEST) and Bailey says a lengthy pre-tournament campaign has helped his side prepare.

"It's been really good the last couple of weeks just to have that time together," Bailey said.

"It's the longest that we've had this Twenty20 group together and I think we've certainly seen some benefits of that."

With youngsters Glenn Maxwell and Pat Cummins vying with veterans David Hussey and Clint McKay for a starting role, Bailey says there is plenty of healthy competition for places throughout the squad.

"We've seen individuals contribute, we've seen guys really starting to form some partnerships with bat and ball," he said.

"I think we've got all bases covered and I really like the mix we've got."

Australia is currently ninth in the world rankings and was recently ranked below Ireland after losing back-to-back games to Pakistan.

But Bailey says the rankings will mean little once the competition gets under way.

"I can't imagine teams will be taking it easy against us based on the fact where we are ranked and I can certainly assure you we won't be taking teams based on their rankings as well," Bailey said.

"Particularly in a World Cup, rankings go out the window. What matters is performance."

Reuters/ABC

Tags: sport, cricket, twenty20, sri-lanka, australia

First posted September 19, 2012 11:37:28

View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment