Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Hogg signs on with Scorchers

Updated November 04, 2011 19:24:34

Former Test and one-day spinner Brad Hogg is confident age will not be a barrier when he steps out for the Perth Scorchers in this summer's Twenty20 Big Bash League.

Hogg, who notched seven Tests, 123 one-dayers and two Twenty20s for Australia, has been plying his trade for West Australian club side Willeton since retiring from international and state cricket in 2008.

The 40-year-old said his hunger to play in a nation-wide competition was as strong as ever, revealing he even offered to make a Sheffield Shield return for WA after being asked to sign on for the Scorchers.

"I got asked a couple of months ago to play for the Scorchers. I had a couple of offers and I just thought I'd take my time and make sure I was fit and ready," Hogg said on Friday.

"I played a bit of grade cricket last year and things went well, so I feel like I'm 21 again.

"I honestly wouldn't sign if I felt like I couldn't perform at this level.

"Basically when I spoke to (coach) Mickey (Arthur), I was even toying with the idea of possibly playing Shield cricket again. But obviously they were going down the youth path and Michael Beer is doing a fantastic job."

WACA chief executive Graeme Wood said Test paceman Mitchell Johnson was also a chance to sign on for the Scorchers, albeit for just the one game.

And troubled batsman Luke Pomersbach, who is one of 16 players contracted to the Scorchers, could make his playing return via the Twenty20 competition despite his recent battles with depression.

The Perth Scorchers begin their T20 Big Bash League campaign against the Hobart Hurricanes at the WACA on December 18.

AAP

Tags: twenty20, cricket, sport, perth-6000, wa, australia

First posted November 04, 2011 19:24:34


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment