Saturday, May 26, 2012

Samuels wins war of words

Updated May 26, 2012 20:42:14

West Indies batsman Marlon Samuels provided the perfect riposte to verbal taunts from England's James Anderson by hitting a century to turn the tide of the second Test.

The tourists were in trouble at 4 for 63 on the first day at Trent Bridge when Samuels came to the crease and were still struggling at 6 for 136 when he was joined by West Indies captain Darren Sammy.

But Samuels responded with 107 not out, his third Test century, while Sammy made an unbeaten 88 as West Indies recovered to 6 for 304 at stumps, having gone 1-0 down in this three-match series after a five-wicket loss at Lord's.

Samuels and Sammy's unbroken stand of 168 was a new West Indies seventh-wicket record in Tests against England, surpassing the 155 shared by Garry Sobers, arguably cricket's greatest all-rounder, and Bernard Julien at Lord's in 1973.

Samuels said West Indies great Vivian Richards had told him he could make a double hundred in this match - as Richards did himself in posting 232 in the Trent Bridge Test of 1976.

"I always get encouragement from Mr Michael Holding (Samuels's fellow Jamaican and one of West Indies' best fast bowlers of all-time) and this morning Sir Viv said I could make a double (hundred) here," he said.

As Samuels, who has now batted for nearly five hours, gained the upper hand a frustrated Anderson, who had rocked the West Indies with two early wickets, tried to unsettle him with a few choice words.

"When I get that double century tomorrow (Saturday) I'd like James Anderson to come and say something to me," said a bullish Samuels.

"To be honest, I haven't found too many bowlers who can bowl and talk but I can bat and talk all day.

"He is one who gets frustrated very easily so he needs to be stronger."

Samuels was more conciliatory when he saw Anderson arrive in the press conference room.

"He's out there now, looking at me," said a smiling Samuels. "He's a very good guy. In the last game at Lord's he was a bit frustrated but I told him 'you're still my favourite bowler'.

"I told him the same thing today, no matter what he said."

Anderson revealed he'd been spoken to by umpire Aleem Dar about his conduct but insisted he'd not over-stepped the mark.

"It just built up and there were a couple of lbws that could have gone either way. Things can get a little bit out of hand but I wasn't saying anything that bad I don't think.

"He (Dar) told me to stop talking and that if I got caught on camera I'd probably get a punishment.

"You're trying to win a game of cricket for your country and take 10 wickets. I think you need to be aggressive and angry at times and it can build up."

Anderson added there was nothing to stop England following Samuels and Sammy's example.

"They played patiently and if people play patiently on that pitch you can bat for a very long time."

AFP

Tags: sport, cricket, england, jamaica

First posted May 26, 2012 08:43:59


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment