Monday, May 21, 2012

Gilchrist thinks career is at stumps

Updated May 21, 2012 16:37:07

It seems likely that former Australian wicketkeeper Adam Gilchrist has played his last game of cricket after his Kings XI Punjab side failed to make the IPL play-offs.

The 40-year-old has informed the Kings XI he will not be returning next season and suggested afterwards he is leaning towards not playing again.

Gilchrist did not play in last year's Big Bash, although he attended a number of Perth Scorchers games with his family, and it remains to be seen whether he can be tempted to play in Australia's domestic showpiece as a swan song.

With tournament finalists the Scorchers already a sell-out at the WACA, it may be that he would have to return to his native New South Wales and don the colours of either Sydney franchise or play for a Melbourne team.

At present, this does not seem like a prospect that would be appealing to him.

"I would say I've played my last game of cricket just there," Gilchrist told Cricinfo after the match.

"I loved the fact that I could play the last couple of games, but I didn't have the horrible desire that I was missing out.

"There isn't that fire burning in my belly quite like it used to. I have to think about it but I just feel I won't be playing."

Gilchrist was the team's player-coach and although he missed much of the tournament through injury he finished with a creditable average of 34.40, chiefly thanks to his unbeaten 64 in the Kings XI's win over the Chennai Super Kings in their penultimate game.

Tags: sport, cricket, wa, australia

First posted May 21, 2012 16:35:42


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment