Friday, April 27, 2012

Clarke ready for first Windies Test

Updated March 25, 2012 16:26:32

Australia captain Michael Clarke says he has come through an intense couple of weeks of physiotherapy in great shape and will be ready for the first Test against West Indies in Barbados starting on April 7.

Clarke was ruled out of the tri-series earlier this month with a hamstring injury suffered against Sri Lanka.

But following two weeks of rehabilitation under the guidance of Australia physiotherapist Alex Kountouris, Clarke says he is feeling great.

"It's been a busy couple of weeks of rehab and treatment with my physio," said Clarke, who departed for the Caribbean on Sunday.

"I had a fitness test Friday and I passed all of that. I've still got seven days until our tour game starts.

"Alex just wanted to check my strength and see if that had improved over the couple of weeks.

"There was some running - general straight line running and some running between wickets and sideways movement to check I'll be fine fielding.

"He's (Kountouris) really confident at where I'm at now. Knowing that we've got that time before the tour game I'll be 100 per cent."

Clarke also has confirmed he is in talks to join IPL franchise the Pune Warriors.

"That opportunity has been presented to my management company and I," Clarke said.

"Right now they're discussing it. We will continue to talk about that and make a decision in due course.

"But my focus right now is to make sure I get back and play some good cricket for Australia."

Once known for being hard and fast, the wickets of the Caribbean are turning as much as Clarke has seen anywhere for a long time.

Meanwhile, he admitted Australia could play two spinners in the first Test.

"The wickets look really slow and have spun as much as any wickets around the world," he said.

"We always talk about spin in India and Sri Lanka but the wicket in St Vincent ... that's as much as I've seen the ball spin and bounce for a long time.

"If conditions are like what we've seen in the one-dayers, then it's something we definitely need to consider."

Spinners Michael Beer and Nathan Lyon impressed Clarke in recent months and he believes they could make a good double act in the Test series.

"They're two very good spinners who have great control," he said.

"I've seen them both throughout the Australian summer bowl very early in an innings, so they can control the new ball as well.

"From what I've seen in the one-dayers, I think they'll both be a handful."

Fortunately for Australia, impressive West Indies off spinner Sunil Narine is not expected to line up for the home side in the Test series.

"I don't think he's playing. The last I heard he was going to the IPL," Clarke said.

"(But) if he does take part in the Test series, I'm sure we'll all have a really good look at him."

While he admits Australia has not been at its best in the one-day series, Clarke said it was always going to take some players time to adjust to the Caribbean.

"I would like to have won every game but conditions have been tough," he said.

"It's a lot different from what we've been facing in Australia. It's been a great experience for guys who haven't been to the West Indies before.

"We've got plenty of time plus we've got a three-day tour game before the first Test and we will be 100 per cent ready to go for that first Test match."

AAP

Tags: cricket, sport, australia

First posted March 25, 2012 12:57:08


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment