Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Hussey to bat on as long as he can

Posted April 13, 2011 13:52:00

Australia batsman Mike Hussey says he has no plans of retiring from international cricket.


A staunch backer of Ponting's decision to stay on after relinquishing the Australia captaincy, Hussey says the arrival of the Michael Clarke era will not change his determination to bat on for as long as possible either.


While Sachin Tendulkar's unstinting form at almost 38 years of age has been offered as a model for a potential post-captaincy Ponting purple patch, Hussey too is inspired by the 'Little Master'.


"It took me so long just to get one game, I think it took over 10 years, so I want to try to play as many games as I possibly can," Hussey said.


"And I want to be part of the new [era], I want to help the new guys coming in.


"We've got a nice blend, I think, at the moment, of some experienced players and then we've got some really young guys.


"I definitely see a bit of a role to play there in trying to help those guys adapt to international cricket."


Hussey says Ponting remains one of the world's best batsmen and an essential team member.


"For me personally and I know for Ricky as well, I've got a lot of inspiration from watching guys like Sachin Tendulkar and Rahul Dravid that have played so well in the last couple of years," he said.


Hussey, 35, says while his enjoyment and form remain, so will he.


Given his fight to achieve his two most recent selection targets - the Ashes and World Cup - his heart and passion are beyond question.


Hussey was no certainty for the Ashes until he broke a poor trot with a century in his final lead-up Sheffield Shield innings, before being Australia's best batsman of the series.


His World Cup bid was almost stymied by injury, before Doug Bollinger got hurt and the seeming relaxation of rules governing who could replace him allowed a fit-again Hussey to fill the breach.


"When I was actually able to go over and play in the World Cup, I was quietly quite proud really, because it took a lot of hard work to get myself back into a fit state," Hussey said.


A tour of Sri Lanka in August is Australia's next calendar item and Hussey's next mission.


"I've never toured Sri Lanka before, so it's certainly another goal of mine, to play in that country and obviously try to do well," he said.


- AAP



View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment