Saturday, October 13, 2012

Ponting perfectly placed for Proteas

Updated October 11, 2012 14:49:06

Australia's greatest Test run-scorer says he is refreshed mentally and physically primed for the Test series against world number one South Africa starting next month.

Ricky Ponting did not pick up a bat for almost four months following his last Test, in the West Indies last April.

The 37-year-old then underwent a gruelling training regime to prepare for the three-Test series against the Proteas.

"You're not in the gym at 6am every morning in the middle of winter without a big clear picture in mind.

"And that to me was to be in the best physical shape and mental shape for the start of the season," said Ponting on Thursday, a day after hammering seven sixes in an unbeaten 85 in Tasmania's first innings against South Australia at Adelaide Oval.

"I have got myself in a good state now, and feeling good about everything, so I am right where I want to be."

Ponting said it was "weird" having a winter off, given he's not in the national one-day or Twenty20 outfits.

"I made the most of the break for the first couple of months," he said.

"I gave my body and mind a bit of a rest because I bashed myself up pretty much during the summer last year.

"I trained incredibly hard to get my game back and finished off the season really well.

"So after the West Indies I had a couple of months off with nothing and then about 12 weeks where I just trained myself into the ground really, physically.

"I got myself in good physical shape. I'm a few kilos down again at the start of the season and feeling really good and feel like I'm moving really good."

Ponting said he knew what would be coming from the South Africans.

"They're the number one team in the world and they are that for a reason," he said.

"They have got probably the best fast bowling attack going around ... they bat really low as well ... they're an exceptionally well-balanced side.

"But saying that, we have had some great contests against them since I have been playing for Australia.

"They have never really dominated us and the series have been great contests.

"We know that if we do everything as well as we can in Australia this year, they will find it hard to beat us."

AAP

Tags: cricket, sport, australia, south-africa

First posted October 11, 2012 14:36:28


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment