Saturday, March 17, 2012

Wade shrugs off Haddin rivalry talk

Updated March 01, 2012 07:36:39

Australian one-day cricket wicketkeeper Matthew Wade has dismissed talk of a rivalry with Brad Haddin, saying it would be "stupid" not to try to learn from him.

Wade and Haddin have both been included in the national ODI squad for the upcoming West Indies tour.

One of the big stories in this Australian cricket season has been Wade taking the gloves from Haddin for the international T20 and one-day games and it is sure to continue with a question mark over whether the latter retains his role as Test keeper on the Windies tour.

But Wade does not see himself in a contest with Haddin.

"I don't know if competition is the word," he said.

"I'm looking to work pretty closely with Brad and try to tap into his experience.

"He's been on plenty of big tours before, this is my first big tour.

"Hopefully we can work well together."

Wade is confident that despite their competition for the 'keeping role, they will continue to have a good rapport.

"We can definitely work well together, I know Brad reasonably well," he said.

"I spoke to him at the Allan Border Medal at length and he gave me a call when I got picked for the one-dayers - he's been really giving.

"I can't see there being any problem.

"I'm just starting international cricket and he's been playing for a long time ... I'm going to be looking to learn off him, I'd be stupid not to."

Selectors indicated several weeks ago they planned to take both glovemen to the West Indies.

Chairman of selectors John Inverarity is looking forward to the pair pushing each other.

"In competitive sport, rivals - friendly rivalry - pushes each other to greater heights," he said.

"They'll do that in the West Indies.

"I know they're both looking forward to working together."

Inverarity said Haddin remained the Test 'keeper, but added there was a "possibility" that Wade could take that spot as well.

"At this moment, Brad is our Test wicketkeeper," Inverarity said.

"If Matthew does extraordinarily well, of course he comes into contention."

AAP

Tags: cricket, sport, australia

First posted March 01, 2012 07:33:13


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment